I’ve really been getting into finding natural ways to soothe aches, pains, skin problems and even the common cold. With doing some research and even trying out these homeopathic ways myself, I’m absolutely in love with using coconut oil for just about everything! The main use of coconut oil is a substitute for butter or other oils when cooking and baking, but there are many health and wellness uses that have been found as well. Coconut oil contains lauric acid, which is a natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal fighting property. Going beyond lauric acid- antioxidants, medium chain triglycerides, caprylic acide and capric acid are all components of coconut oil. Here are my top 5 favorite homeopathic uses for coconut oil:
- Cold and Flu – Sometimes you can just tell when a cold is starting to brew – this is when I immediately turn to coconut oil. The medium chain triglycerides that are found in coconut oil may help boost immunity, so I like to make a mixture of coconut oil, honey and hot tea. Try making your own vapor rub, cough drops, and Jen’s recommendations on soothing a sore throat for all-natural ways to get feeling better in no time!
- Headache/Stress – When I get stressed, I feel like it’s the end of the world. I’ve been trying to incorporate running a hot bubble bath, listening to soothing music and reading a good book as ways to help with my stress levels. When a bad headache starts, instead of turning to medicine right away, I’ve been rubbing a little bit of coconut oil mixed with lavender essential oils and massaging my temples. If you have someone to massage you, de-stress with Michelle’s Massage Oil or my Epsom Salt Bath with some candles.
- Dry Skin/Sun Burn – I personally suffer from dry skin, especially during the winter time. Then we turn around to summer here in sunny Florida and I’m battling sun burn! Coconut oil is great for moisturizing dry, irritated skin and even eczema. Sometimes store bought lotions just really never seem to work (but you can make your own), so I’m now a firm believer of coconut oil for all types of dryness – you can even make lip balm! Check out my Soothing Aloe Lotion and Sun Burn Relief tips to help get your skin silky smooth.
- Acne – Even at 24, acne still creeps up on me. I have found that some face washes actually have made my acne worse in the past. With the anti-bacterial properties that are found in coconut oil, I’ve been turning to making my own face masks and even simply using a thin layer on my face before bed to help problem areas. Lani’s Acne Tips give great information on ways to fight acne with coconut oil.
- Baby – From diaper rash to cradle cap, coconut oil is a great natural alternative to soaps and creams that are on the market. Baby massages with coconut oil have also been quite popular now as well. With the many uses, Mom’s even love to use coconut oil throughout their pregnancy on themselves! Lani gives some great information on the uses of coconut oil during pregnancy.
Hopefully you’ve found some good information on the homeopathic uses of coconut oil. With there being so many out there, do you have a favorite use?