If you’re out in the summertime heat enjoying a drink or two by the beach, it’s time to beware of the newest type of burn – the “margarita burn.” When I first heard about this type of burn, I was completely unaware of what it pertained to. After listening to a segment on the radio and doing my own research, I soon found out that it actually had to do with lime juice that is found in margaritas!
According to the Mayo Clinic, the scientific name for a case like this is phytophotodermatitis, a skin condition that occurs from sensitivity to chemicals in certain fruits and plants. The reaction is triggered when affected areas of the skin are exposed to sunlight, causing a reaction that may resemble sunburn or become red and itchy, patchy, or similar looking to eczema.
Not only are those who are drinking margaritas out in the hot sun getting affected by this burn, but also bartenders and anyone who may be handling limes or certain fruits/plants and then be out in the sunlight for long periods of time.
Many bartenders and patrons are opting to make mixed drinks and margaritas from lime concentrate, versus handling the fresh citrus during conditions when they will be exposed to ultraviolet light.
If you end up with “margarita burn,” or phytophotodermatitis, it’s important to treat it as you would a regular burn or sunburn. Coconut oil has been amazing for the relief of sunburn, so it never hurts to try on a margarita burn. Simply apply coconut oil to the affected area every hour and bandage the area if severe.
Since coconut oil is a great moisturizer, you may continue to use it if the burn peels or if you experience dry skin after. Coconut oil also contains anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a great all-natural remedy for the healing process.