One of my favorite desserts is Honey Bun Cake. I just love the cinnamon goodness of it, but with my New Year’s resolution to eat better, I needed a way to revise my favorite cake. The first step in making the cake contain less trans-fat was by swapping out butter for coconut oil. I then replaced the sour cream with Greek yogurt and I was pleasantly surprised that it didn’t affect the taste at all!
Of course, it’s still a cake and is not a healthy choice, but it is nice to bake my favorites knowing they are healthier than before. Plus, sometimes you need to enjoy a slice of your favorite cake!
1 box yellow cake mix
2/3 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil
8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13×9-inch with Kelapo Coconut Oil Cooking Spray.
2. In a large bowl, beat cake mix, oil, eggs, and Greek yogurt. Spread half of the batter in the pan.
3. In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over batter in the pan. Then, spread remaining batter evenly over the mixture.
4. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
5. In another small bowl, stir powdered sugar, almond milk, and vanilla until thin enough to spread. Prick the surface of the warm cake several times with a fork. Spread powdered sugar mixture over cake.
6. Serve and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy the cinnamon goodness as much as I do and remember portion control is key!