French toast has always been a breakfast favorite of mine. I remember growing up and always making this delicious breakfast at my grandmothers house on the weekends. It was a special treat that we got way too often but there was always a special technique to make it taste so yummy! We had to leave the bread to sit out on the counter overnight, the egg mixture had to be whisked and we had to use butter to make the bread so crisp. As I have grown up and understood that butter isn’t the healthiest option, I have chosen to switch to coconut oil. Although it has the same caloric count as butter, I personally think it tastes way better! I recreated my grandmother’s old dish and spiced it up to make stuffed french toast, check out the recipe.
2 slices of your favorite bread
1 to 2 tablespoons almond milk
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
2 tablespoons your favorite jam
2 tablespoons fat-free cream cheese
1 tablespoon Kelapo Coconut Oil
- Leave your bread out overnight, this helps the bread become firm, making a better french toast.
- In the morning add egg, milk and cinnamon to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Place a pan on medium heat and add in coconut oil.
- Spread cream cheese to one slice of bread and jam to the other slice, place together to form a sandwich.
- Place sandwich on your pan and spoon egg mixture to one side, flip and spoon egg mixture to the opposite side.
- Cook until golden brown.
- Serve hot with desired toppings