What better way to start the morning on a weekend than to make breakfast. I find that I’m always in a rush during the week, so I like to take my Saturday and Sunday mornings to make a nice, filling breakfast. I am known for finding healthier alternatives to my favorite dishes so this morning I decided to re-create the classic French toast and put a healthy twist to it. Instead of using regular bread, I chose to use Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread. I just discovered Ezekiel Bread about a year ago and now prefer to use it in place of toast. Ezekiel Bread is wonderful because it is whole wheat, contains seven sprouted grains, and has lower carb content per slice. The cinnamon raisin version added a sweet kick to the finished French toast, which I love!
Also, instead of using all whole eggs, this recipe will incorporate egg whites and whole eggs. In place of slathering butter on top of the finished product, top the French toast off with a little coconut oil. For my last healthy tip, replace regular milk for unsweetened almond milk. You can either use Kelapo Coconut Oil Cooking Spray to grease the bottom of your pan, or 1 tablespoon of Kelapo Coconut Oil to keep the toast from sticking. The choice is yours, but personally I’m obsessed with our cooking spray! Let’s take a look at how to whip up this delicious breakfast:
½ cup egg whites
1 whole egg
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 slices Cinnamon Raisin Ezekiel Bread
1. In a medium bowl, add egg whites, whole egg, almond milk, vanilla extract, and cinnamon. Whisk together with a fork and set aside.
2. Let Ezekiel Bread defrost by placing in the microwave for around 20 seconds.
3. Place a skillet on medium-high heat and allow to warm up. Spray with cooking spray or add in coconut oil.
4. Next, place 1 slice of Ezekiel Bread into the egg wash mixture, coat one side, and repeat for the other side.
5. Place coated bread right onto the pan and let sit until egg mixture has cooked and is slightly brown. Flip and do the same for the other side and remaining pieces.
6. Transfer finished pieces onto a plate until all are finished. If some pieces are cold, I stick the plate of finished French toast in the microwave for about 20 seconds to heat up again.
7. Drizzle with your favorite maple syrup and add additional coconut oil to the top if desired, enjoy!
With this breakfast, you are getting a good source of protein and carbs all in one bite! Not to mention, the Ezekiel Bread French toast came out pretty tasty! Instead of using regular maple syrup, I always use Walden Farms Maple Syrup instead because there is zero sugar, fat, or carbs. See, it’s extremely possible to make a breakfast healthy and delicious! Try pairing this dish with Lani’s Simple Scrambled Eggs if you need to get my protein in your diet! What’s your favorite breakfast to make?