It’s January. That means its time to start eating right, dieting, and working out again, right? Well if you feel like cheating or rewarding yourself for all of the hard work you have put in so far, here is a recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth and you don’t even have to feel that guilty about it.
Gluten-Free Pot Au Chocolate-Coconut Cakes
Recipe and photo courtesy of Better Nutrition
3/4 cup finely ground gluten-free flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsweetened dark cocoa
1/4 cup coconut oil, softened (oil should be creamy, not hard, but not completely melted)
1/4 cup evaporated cane juice
1/2 cup honey
3 egg whites
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup finely chopped bittersweet chocolate
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut
1/4 cup toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cocoa together into a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine coconut oil, cane juice, and honey in a medium bowl and beat with a hand-held mixer on medium for 3 to 4 minutes, until creamy and well blended. Add egg and egg whites, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Gently fold flour mixture and chopped chocolate into the egg mixture. Fold in coconut. Transfer mixture into six individual 4-ounce ramekins, and arrange ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Bake cakes on baking sheet for 20 minutes, until slightly puffed. Remove from oven and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Serve hot.
– Better Nutrition, Feb. 2011