I’ve been on my cauliflower kick for quite some time now, especially after seeing Chef Alyssa’s Asian BBQ Cauliflower Tacos. I’m a big fan of eating healthy and clean foods, but every so often I do get a craving for fried foods. Instead of going out to indulge in a bucket of fried chicken, I decided to be healthy and make fried cauliflower. I grew up with this dish as a child and absolutely love the light taste the fried cauliflower brings.
I took my dad’s original recipe that calls for olive oil and swapped that out for coconut oil. Since I’m using an unrefined coconut oil, I’m going to keep the heat on a medium-high to make sure my cauliflower doesn’t burn. An unrefined coconut oil has a smoke point of about 375 degrees, so you want to be sure to not have the burner on high.
1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
1 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup flour
3 whole eggs
1 cup coconut oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse off cauliflower florets and pat dry. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place breadcrumbs and flour in two medium bowls. Set aside.
- Crack eggs into a medium bowl and whisk until completely combined.
- Next, take 1 floret of cauliflower, completely coat it in the flour mixture, then right into the egg mixture, and finally finish with a full coating of breadcrumbs. Set this floret aside and repeat until all are completely breaded.
- Place coconut oil into a skillet on medium-high heat and allow the oil to fully heat; around 3-5 minutes.
- Once the coconut oil is hot, place a few florets into the skillet, turning them occasionally. When all sides are golden brown, remove florets and place on a paper towel to let any excess oil soak off.
- Season with additional salt and pepper and serve.
Feel free to use gluten-free breadcrumbs and flour for this recipe as a modification. Coconut oil is also naturally gluten-free, which makes the modified recipe perfect for someone following a gluten-free diet. Make sure to check out my Top Cauliflower Recipes for more great dinner ideas!