I have always had a love-hate relationship with eggs. Egg whites have been a main staple in my diet while I’m working out and training for my competition in April. Since I eat them at least twice a day, plain egg whites can tend to get a little boring. I have been seeing a lot of frittata dishes being made lately on the food channel and online websites, so I decided to take a shot at creating my own. I absolutely fell in love with this new way of making eggs because you can get creative and add a plethora of ingredients that best suit your taste. I chose to add sweet potatoes to get my carbs in and a bunch of zucchini and red peppers for my vegetable serving. Using coconut oil was a great way for me to get the amount of healthy fats my trainer has me consuming. Finally, I have found a way to get protein, carbs, healthy fats, and vegetables all in one quick serving!
For my own personal frittata, I measured out my egg whites, coconut oil, and sweet potatoes into exact portions so I would know how many carbs , fats, and grams of protein I was consuming. Feel free to adapt the portions to your own personal needs. I chose to use egg whites in my dish, however whole eggs are also good if you prefer them. I found that the frittata came out super light and fluffy because the egg whites were whisked, which allows air to be incorporated into them. Adding the sweet potatoes was also great because I was really full after eating this meal! I would recommend prepping the sweet potato and vegetables before you start cooking to avoid a rush in the kitchen! Also, when cooking the sweet potatoes on the skillet, I found that they cook faster with a lid over the top. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
1 cup of egg whites or 5 large eggs
2 tablespoons of Kelapo Coconut Oil
1 zucchini, sliced into thin pieces
1 large sweet potato, sliced into thin pieces
1 large red pepper, diced
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a skillet on medium-high heat and add coconut oil until the pan is completely coated.
- Add in sliced sweet potatoes, cover with a lid, and let cook until soft. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Next, add in zucchini and red bell peppers. Let cook for another 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs whites or eggs until fluffy. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour the eggs over the vegetables and sweet potatoes. Cook on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- If you like the top of your frittata a little crispy, place the pan under the broiler for 3 minutes.
- Let the frittata cool, slice, and serve.
I found making this frittata took no time and all and I was able to multitask in between because of all the separate cooking times. I definitely enjoyed this dish compared to my plain egg whites! If you’re looking for another good way to serve eggs, check out Lani’s Simple Scrambled Eggs. What’s your favorite way to cook eggs?