Erin is absolutely obsessed with brussels sprouts! I could never understand why, up until our recent visit to San Francisco for the Winter Fancy Food Show. After a day of exhibiting at the Moscone Center, it was time for dinner. We went to Tyler Florence’s restaurant, Wayfare Tavern, and sure enough brussels sprouts were on the menu! I was eager to try this vegetable that Erin always raves about, so we ordered the side. The dish came to the table with a vibrant appeal and wonderful smell of garlic, parmesan, and pine nuts. My first bite was absolutely delicious!
Ever since that night, I’ve been hooked on adding brussels sprouts into my daily diet. What’s great about this vegetable is that they are high in protein, fiber, and vitamin C. I get sick easily, so getting in my daily recommended amount of vitamin C naturally has been extremely helpful!
Last night, I decided to recreate the dish we ate at Wayfare Tavern, going by the ingredients I tasted in the dish. Cooking with brussels sprouts is super easy and it’s fun to get creative with additional ingredients. With this recipe, you’ll need to prep the brussels sprouts by washing them thoroughly and cutting each one into quarter pieces (once in half and then half again). Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
½ pound brussels sprouts
1 tablespoon Kelapo Coconut Oil
¼ cup pine nuts
¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 cloves of garlic
1 pinch of salt
Ground pepper (to taste)
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Once your brussels sprouts are washed and cut into quarter pieces, place them in a pan on medium-high heat. Peel and chop the garlic cloves into tiny pieces and add them to the Brussels sprouts, along with the salt and pepper.
- Next, add the coconut oil to the pan and let the mixture warm up for about 5 minutes. Make sure to stir the mixture frequently in order to coat all sides of the brussels sprouts.
- Transfer the mixture onto a baking sheet that’s lined with foil or parchment paper. Sprinkle the pine nuts onto the warm brussels sprouts and top with parmesan cheese.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven for 18 to 25 minutes. Leave the brussels sprouts in for the full 25 minutes if you like them really crispy.
- Once the time is up, transfer the brussels sprouts into a dish and serve!
What’s your favorite way to include brussels sprouts into your diet?