It’s almost Valentine’s Day, which means tomorrow is the sweetest holiday of the year. My favorite treat on this day is chocolate covered strawberries, who can deny them? Instead of making these the traditional way I decided to make chocolate covered strawberry hearts because it’s the day of love! Whether your celebrating with your sweetheart or your children it is guarenteed to be a success with everyone.
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon Kelapo coconut oil
- Cut the stems off the strawberries and slice the berry in half.
- Take a toothpick and poke it through both strawberry halves to get the heart shape. You may need to cut a little off of one half of the berry to get a good heart shape.
- Pour chocolate chips and coconut oil into a bowl and melt together until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Line your strawberry hearts on parchment paper, halved side up, and pour a thin layer of chocolate on top.
- Place in fridge until the chocolate hardens, times varies on your particular refrigerator.
- Once hardened, place chocolate side down on parchment paper and pour remaining chocolate evenly on tops of strawberries.
- Place in fridge until hardened and serve when desired!
These are a perfect treat for such a sweet holiday. In all of my baking I always add coconut oil to melt my chocolate down. Not only does it keep the chocolate a smooth consistency but it helps to make the chocolate thinner. Specfically for this recipe it worked well for the chocolate to be thinner so that my layers were not too thick. There is nothing wrong with too much chocolate but I wanted to be able to taste the strawberries as well. Make these babies for your hunny paired with a bottle of bubbly and you have a romantic Valentine’s evening at home!
What are some of your baking tricks?
Photo Credit – www.californiastrawberries.com