While visiting an old friend over the weekend, I found out she decided to switch to a vegetarian lifestyle. She has been experimenting with replacing butter for coconut oil in her dishes to fit her new dietary needs and was extremely excited to discover our coconut oil is certified by the Vegetarian Society. When I asked why she decided to take on the new diet, her response was simply to live healthier. This intrigued me to do my own research on the benefits of being vegetarian and found some interesting facts. Here are some of my favorites:
- Ward Off Disease: Vegetarian diets may help in preventing, treating, or reversing heart disease and reduce the risk of cancer. Keeping a low-fat vegetarian diet is an effective way to stop the progression of coronary artery disease or prevent it altogether.
- Keep Weight Down: A standard American diet is high in processed foods and low in plant-based foods and complex carbohydrates. Keeping a vegetarian based diet may help in reversing this imbalance.
- Build Stronger Bones: If our bodies are lacking calcium in the blood stream, it will end up being taken from existing bone. Over time, this can lead to decreased strength and a porous skeleton. Foods such as dry beans, tofu, soymilk, and dark green vegetables will help in getting a daily dose of calcium our bodies need.
- Increased Energy: Since vegetarian diets consist of whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables that are high in complex carbohydrates, the body will be supplied with energizing fuel that it needs to function.
- Living Longer: “If you switch from the standard American diet to a vegetarian diet, you can add about 13 healthy years to your life,” says Michael F. Roizen, MD, author of The RealAge Diet: Make Yourself Younger with What You Eat.
If any of these benefits sound familiar, you have been reading our blog! Coconut oil has also been found to help your immune system, lower your weight and increase your energy. So it makes perfect sense for anyone, from first-timers to always-been-doing-it vegetarians to utilize coconut oil in their diets. For more information about these benefits click here.
Not ready to fully commit? Try a “Meatless Monday” with our delicious Vegan Banana Muffins or Carrot Fries with Vegan Ranch for a healthy afternoon snack. For those of you who want a hassle-free way to get the benefits of coconut oil, our Vegetarian Coconut Oil Softgels are the perfect fit.
Have you tried making a vegetarian recipe with coconut oil? If so, how did it turn out?