I love Girl Scout cookies. My family used to hoard them in the freezer until we could buy them again. This year, I missed the window to buy them, so I hit up Pinterest and found this recipe for homemade Tagalongs (my favorite!). And in my quest to try to make things just a little bit healthier – I opted to make them vegan. To my surprise, some Tagalongs ARE vegan straight from the box. For a list of other vegan Girl Scout Cookies, look here.
Of course, I also used coconut oil to replace the butter. This will keep my cookies soft and make them so tasty – you won’t even miss the butter. I also swapped the shortening in the chocolate coating for coconut oil – it makes one tasty shell for sure. I looks like a lot – but it’s really quite easy to make.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil, softened
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (I like Wholesome Sweetners)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 banana, smashed
Peanut Butter Filling:
- 1/4 c. creamy peanut butter, slightly melted
- 4-5 tbsp. powdered sugar
- splash of vanilla
- 1-2 tbsp. almond milk
- 1 package vegan chocolate melting candy
- 1/4 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil
For the Shortbread Cookie:
1. Mix all ingredients in stand mixer or with electric mixer
2. Scoop out 1 tbsp. and quickly roll into a ball. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
3. Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes until firm in the center. Let cool completely
For the Peanut Butter Filling:
4. Microwave peanut butter for about 10 seconds until slightly melted
5. Add 4 tbsp. powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tbsp. of almond milk
6. Using a hand mixer, mix until smooth. Add more powdered sugar or milk to your liking
7. Spread thin layer over each cooled cookie
8. In separate bowl, microwave vegan chocolate and coconut oil for 40 seconds. Stir, and continue to heat in 15 second intervals until completely melted.
9. Using a fork, dip each cookie into chocolate coating until fully covered, tapping off excess
10. Place each cookie on wax paper to harden.
Don’t forget to make our Homemade Gluten Free Thin Mints to really tide you over until next year.