Here are our 10 favorite ways to use coconut oil during the summertime!
1. Grilling — Brush the grates on your grill with coconut oil before grilling your chicken, burgers, or fresh fruit for a healthy and sweet dessert.
2. Baking – Bake up a light, summertime dessert for your next cookout. Try Susan Dopart’s Health Lemon Bars!
3. Get Beachy Hair — Want your hair to have those “just got back from the beach” waves? Fill a spray bottle with warm water, add 1 teaspoon of sea salt, 1 teaspoon coconut oil, and a dime size amount of hair gel. Shake until mixed and spray on hair. Then scrunch your hair to create the waves.
4. Shaving — Remember to shave your legs before heading off to the beach! Coconut oil is a great “shaving cream”. So toss out your shaving cream and make sure to shave your legs with coconut oil instead. It moisturizes while you are shaving, so you won’t even need lotion afterwards.
5. Pre-Sun Moisturizer — Before heading out into the sun, rub a small amount of coconut oil onto your skin. This will help keep your skin moisturized and extend the life of your tan.
6. Sun Burn — If you stayed out in the sun a little too long, rub coconut oil over the sunburned areas for relief of the burning and to keep your skin moisturized. Plus, it can help prevent peeling!
7. Bug Bites – If you spent a lot of time outside at night, you are most likely covered in mosquito bites. Rub coconut oil over the bites to stop the itching and aid the healing process.
8. Chapped Lips – Are your lips chapped from being out in the sun too long? Rub a little coconut oil over them to help soften and heal.
9. Damaged Hair – If your hair is getting dry and damaged from all of the chlorine and salt water use a little coconut oil. Rub a small amount of coconut oil into the ends of your hair about an hour before showering (longer if you wish). Then shampoo and condition as normal for extra soft hair!
10. Natural Deodorant – Don’t get smelly this summer! Make your own homemade deodorant with coconut oil, cornstarch, baking soda, and your favorite essential oil.
Bonus: It might be a little late for gardening, but spray Kelapo’s new coconut oil cooking spray on your shovels to help dirt fall off easier and prevent rusting!