Since it is National Soup Month and it has been pretty cold here at night, I had to make some more soup. Tomato basil was the soup of choice this time. I found a great recipe and decided to take my first stab at making homemade tomato soup. If I do say so myself it turned out pretty good! Although I really do need to invest in a stick blender to make it that much easier.
I added some croutons on top and it was the perfect meal to warm me up on a cold night. You could also add a grilled cheese on the side if you are really hungry! Don’t forget to use coconut oil on your bread instead of butter when grilling your grilled cheese.
Tomato Basil Soup
Recipe adapted from Food.com
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, cored, peeled, and chopped (8-10) or 4 cups canned whole tomatoes , crushed
- 4 cups tomato juice (or part vegetable or part chicken stock)
- 12 -14 basil leaves , washed fresh
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup or 1 stick Kelapo coconut oil
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper