Out of the many reasons why I love coconut oil, my absolute favorite is the way muffins, cookies, and cakes turn out. When replacing butter or any oil in a 1:1 ratio, I have found that the denseness that almost always occurred when baking is no longer! I finally found my solution to having the perfect delectable desserts. I came across a recipe from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody for Snickerdoodle Muffins that looked absolutely amazing. What a clever idea to turn cookie into a muffin! My boyfriend loves any type of cookie, so he’s just the right person to make these muffins for AND I’ll be sneaking one as well. I tweaked the recipe a little by eliminating the sour cream because using coconut oil by itself left these muffins fluffy.
1 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil; room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
¾ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp cream of tartar
¾ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 and ¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons cinnamon; mixed together for rolling
- Cream the coconut oil and sugar until soft; about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Next, add in the eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and cream of tartar.
- Add the flour mixture into to the egg-coconut oil mixture. Scrape the bowl occasionally.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out batter one at a time and drop into a shallow bowl filled with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the batter around in the mixture until it is covered completely in cinnamon sugar.
- Place muffin into a tin greased with coconut oil (this will help prevent sticking). Depending on the size of your tins, you should get about 12 to 14 muffins. Bake them for approximately 20-22 minutes in a 350F oven or until they are golden brown.
It was extremely tempting, however I let the muffins cool down for about 10-15 minutes before serving them. My boyfriend LOVED the way they turned out and I must say, I was right there with him! The cinnamon sugar topping added a delightful crunch and the perfect amount of sweetness throughout. If you’re looking for more muffin recipes with coconut oil, make sure to check out our Vegan Banana, Strawberry Cheesecake, and Sweet Potato Muffins.