Today is National Dessert Day – yum! Sweets are my weakness and I absolutely love anything chocolate. What would Dessert Day be without a sweet treat?! My boyfriend wanted me to make “fudgy” brownies for this occasion, so my baking skills would now be put to use. The secret ingredient for these brownies is coconut oil. Where do I begin with all the amazing benefits of coconut oil? This healthy fat is a great replacement for butter or oil in cooking and baking. Simply take the original recipe and swap butter or oil out for coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio.
I decided to dress my batch of brownies up with sea salt, caramel, and pretzels. The combination of all these ingredients and chocolate was pure heaven! You end up with a chewy crunch of salty and sweet, all in one. Here’s what you’ll need:
1 box brownie mix
2 cups salted pretzels
1 cup caramels, melted
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
2 teaspoons sea salt
- Follow directions on the back of brownie mix and replace vegetable oil for coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio.
- Bake brownies in oven at temperature listed on the back of the brownie box mix, take out when finished, and let cool.
- Next, place caramels in a bowl, melt in microwave and spread evenly over cooled brownies.
- Add pretzels to the top of melted caramel and press down firmly.
- Melt chocolate over a double boil or in the microwave until completely smooth. Sprinkle sea salt over the entire brownie pan.
- Set oven to a low broil and place brownies back into the oven for around 3-4 minutes. This will give the pretzels a nice crisp and melt all ingredients together.
- Let the entire pan cool for about 10 minutes, serve, and enjoy!