1500 W. Fairbanks Ave., Winter Park, FL 32789
407-622-PETS or 866-844-PETS
Carries: Kelapo Coconut Oil, 8 oz, 15 oz
Pookies is not your typical pet store. Yes, they have pet food and anything else your pet might need, but they also carry an array of healthy and organic foods for your furry friend. Plus, they have a doggie bakery! Pookies in-store bakery makes fresh, all-natural dog cookies and specialty items with human-grade ingredients like apple, banana, carob, cinnamon, peanut butter, pumpkin, and yogurt. There is never any sugar, salt, lard, shortening, or preservatives added to their cookies. They also have a variety of wheat-free cookies for dogs who have allergies.
Pookies has won multiple awards that include ‘Best Pet Supplies in Orlando’ from 2007 – 2012 and one of Southern Living Magazines ‘Favorite Southern Pet Stores’ in 2009. On top of all that, they also offer home delivery. For those days you can’t make it to the store or just want to stay curled up in bed, your pet’s food will come to you. The store also has a large adoption event called RescueFest the last Saturday in January, with over 40 non-profit local rescues, 50–60 vendors, and nearly 6,000 people attend!
Pookies took some time out from baking to answer some questions for us:
- What makes Pookie’s unique? Pookie’s is unique in the Orlando metro area in that we have an experienced and very knowledgeable staff who are able to help our customers select the best foods and treats for their pets based on that pet’s needs. We have the largest, most varied selection of foods to choose from, we don’t push one food over another, we look for the best solution for that pet. We are also unique in that we carry a wide assortment of supplements and functional treats. We have many holistic and conventional vets that send people to us to because they know we have better quality products that are in line with their nutritional recommendations to their clients. We deal with a lot of pets that have allergy or other health issues.
- Why would someone want to buy coconut oil for their pet? (In your opinion) Any success stories you can think of? We brought in the coconut oil because we wanted an alternative for our customers that has benefits not found in other types of oils. One of our employees used the coconut oil to help combat an ear infection in her dog and it was very effective in controlling the chronic infections.
- Are there any great sale days or events coming up? We tend to have a lot of small in store events on the weekends such as having a local rescue group come in for the day and adopt out animals. We have a large adoption event called RescueFest the last Saturday in January every year that invites 20 nonprofit local rescues and 30-40 vendors, we have attendance of approximately 1,000 people. We also invite service providers such as trainers and pet sitters to come and do mini seminars q/a sessions for our customers.
- What is the most unusual pet that comes into Pookie’s? We normally only see dogs and cats. We have had rabbits, squirrels, ferrets on occasion. The most unusual was a hedgehog that someone brought in one Christmas to get a picture taken with Santa!
- Anything else you would like our readers to know about Pookie’s? We are one of the few places in the Orlando area that actually has a working pet bakery, we bake every day and do a lot of “pawty cakes” and “pupcakes” for our customers special occasions. We do not use sugar or salt or lard in our cookies and don’t decorate with sugary frostings, etc. and we use human grade ingredients. We also have a large monthly home delivery service. Our motto is “Your Pet’s Nutrition is Our Mission”