With Valentine’s Day right around the coroner, I’m already brainstorming about what sweet treat to make that my boyfriend and I can indulge in. Because red is the color of love, I landed on red velvet – but instead of whipping up a traditional cake, I decided to go bite size. These “cake poppers” are just the right size to be devoured in one or two bites – how cute! I found the trick to getting a deep red color and the perfect texture was using coconut oil. To do this, simply replace the vegetable oil in this recipe for coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio. I used a fluffy marshmallow filling for these cake poppers, but feel free to use your favorite recipe for cream cheese frosting.
Calories: 162, Fat: 9.7g, Total Carbohydrates: 18.8g, Sugars: 13.5g
1 red velvet cake box mix
1/2 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil
1 1/4 cup water
3 egg whites
1 1/2 cup marshmallow filling
3/4 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil
1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven 350F. Spray muffin pan with Kelapo Coconut Oil Cooking Spray, set aside.
- Blend cake mix, coconut oil, water and egg whites. Spoon in 3 tablespoons of batter into full-sized muffin pan, or 2 tablespoons into mini-muffin pans.
- Bake for 15-25 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In large bowl, beat marshmallow and coconut oil on medium speed until blended. Add in powdered sugar until fluffy.
- Cut off tops of each mini-cake. Spread marshmallow filling, creating sandwiches between two tops. Repeat until complete.
Now that dessert is served, try not to eat too many! These cake poppers are so fun to make and get addicting once you start digging into them. For more Valentine’s Day ideas, check out my Raspberry Chocolate Hearts and Michelle’s Edible Massage Oil.