Wintertime is approaching and baking season is in full swing. Between the cold weather drying out your skin and all of those dishes from baking drying out your hands, coconut oil can be a real lifesaver. It has numerous uses that go beyond just cooking and baking. Here is our list of the top 13 ways to use and benefit from coconut oil.
- Add to all of your holiday dinner dishes – It’s easy to incorporate coconut oil into your holiday meal. Simply substitute Kelapo coconut oil in place of butter or other oils at a 1:1 ratio. Try out our many holiday dishes including homemade stuffing, sweet potato casserole, and the star of the show… Herb Roasted Turkey. Plus check back throughout December for more great holiday recipes!
- Grease pots and pans – Instead of spraying your pots and pans down with cooking sprays made with ingredients that you can’t pronounce, just dab a paper towel in a little bit of coconut oil and rub on pans. Your baked goods will come right off the pan and you can be confident that you used an all natural, organic ingredient.
- Bake a super flaky pie crust – During the winter months, you can almost guarantee that your coconut oil will be in solid form rather than liquid (Coconut oil changes between a liquid and a solid at 76 degrees and can be used safely either way). Use coconut oil in place of any butter or lard in your favorite recipe and be prepared for a delicious and flaky pie crust. Everyone will be asking for the recipe!
- Chocolate-covered anything – Use our magic shell recipe for any type of chocolate dipped treat. Simply dip cold fruits, pretzels, cookies, or anything else you wish and refrigerate. Wrap in a cute bag and tie with a bow for a homemade gift everyone will love.
- Moisturizing “lotion” – Use in place of other moisturizers and lotions. Put a lot on at night or a little in the morning to leave you smelling coco-nutty fresh with silky smooth skin.
- Chapped lips – Always a battle in the winter! Spread a little coconut oil over chapped lips for instant relief of sore and cracked lips. Add a little Vitamin E for extra relief. Use everyday in place of your regular chap-stick for a winter of chap-free lips.
- Diaper rash– Don’t let your little one suffer during dry skin season. Use coconut oil to alleviate pesky diaper rash or to make your own homemade organic baby wipes.
- 1/8 cup Kelapo coconut oil
- 1/8 cup organic baby wash
- 4 cups distilled water
- 1 roll of paper towels
- 2 airtight containers
Cut roll of paper towels in half. Mix first 3 ingredients. Distribute mixture evenly between 2 containers. Soak each half of the paper towels in the containers and cover. Remove paper towel roll once it is wet and softened. Remove first wipe from the center of the roll.
Recipe adapted from this one.
- Deep conditioner for hair – Rub a small amount of coconut oil through your hair, focusing on the ends, about an hour before you shower. Shampoo and condition as usual. For extra softness, keep in hair overnight. Just be sure to cover your pillow so it doesn’t get oily.
- Burns – If your hands are full of burns from all of that holiday baking, just rub a little coconut oil directly on the burns to relieve the pain and aid the healing process. In the summer time it is also great for sunburns!
- Eye Makeup Remover – When you get home from those many holiday parties, remove your water-proof eye makeup with coconut oil. Simply dip a q-tip or tissue in coconut oil and sweep over eyes. Your makeup will come right off and leave your skin moisturized.
- Make your loved one a homemade spa day gift basket – Coconut oil is the perfect ingredient for face or body scrubs, hair or face masks, or massage oil. Make a gift basket for that special someone that includes some chocolate covered goodies, homemade body scrub (recipe to come in December), a homemade face mask, and a jar of coconut oil to use for hair and massaging. She will love being pampered!
Coconut Oil Face Mask – Used this recipe
Mix ½ of an avocado, ½ tsp Kelapo coconut oil, and ½ tsp honey. Put in jar and wrap with a bow. Include instructions to leave on for 45 minutes and rinse thoroughly with warm water.
- An Extra Boost – Mix a spoonful in your tea, coffee, or smoothies every morning for a little extra energy throughout the day. You can also mix it in your hot chocolate for an extra special treat.
- Immunity – Take a spoonful every morning. “The lauric acid in coconut oil is proven to be anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal, so it may help to boost your immune system and to keep you from getting sick. The lauric acid can help your body to fight bacterial infections.” – Ecoviva
The statements found throughout this page have not been evaluated by the FDA. They are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or condition. If you have a health condition or concern, consult a physician or your alternative health care provider. Always consult a medical doctor before modifying your diet, using any new product, drug, supplement, or doing new exercises.