My mom celebrated her 54th birthday yesterday, so of course it was appropriate for me to make her a cake! I wanted to come up with something other than just chocolate or vanilla, so I had some brainstorming to do. I remembered that when I was little, my mom would occasionally bake a lemon cake with cream cheese frosting; this was the perfect idea! Since my mom is a coconut oil fanatic, I had to incorporate it into the cake and frosting. Let me tell you, this did wonders for creating a moist and flavorful cake. When using coconut oil in a recipe, simply replace butter or oil in a 1:1 ratio.
I decided to dress the final layer of the cake with sliced strawberries. You can add your favorite fruit to give your cake a finishing touch. My mom was very pleased with the outcome and loved her birthday cake. Here’s what you’ll need for this recipe:
1 box lemon cake mix (this can be found at your local grocery store)
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup water
1 carton strawberries
1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons coconut oil, at room temperature
½ to 1 cup powdered sugar (to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Unwrap the cake mix and pour it into a medium size mixing bowl. Add in 1 cup of water, 3 eggs, and ½ cup coconut oil. Mix well with an electric mixer. Transfer the batter to a round cake pan and bake for 28-30 minutes.
- For the frosting, add the softened cream cheese to a medium size mixing bowl. Next, add in the coconut oil and vanilla extract. Mix well with an electric mixer. Once all ingredients are fully combined, add in ½ cup powdered sugar. Mix in completely and taste the frosting. Since everyone likes their frosting at different levels of sweetness, you may need to add the remaining powdered sugar in small increments.
- Once the cake has completely cooled, frost the top layer with the cream cheese frosting. You may choose to cut the cake in half and frost the middle layer if desired.
- Slice strawberries into fairly thin portions and place them onto the top layer.
- Place the finished cake into the fridge for about 20 minutes to let the cream cheese frosting set.
- Serve and enjoy!
What are your favorite ways to use coconut oil in baking?