Throughout the month of November we will be posting recipes for all of your favorite Turkey Day dishes and showing you how you can work coconut oil into each one of them. Mac and cheese is one of my favorites. I love making mac and cheese in individual dishes for each guest at the table. You don’t have to, you can always bake in a large dish instead of individual dishes. Don’t worry, your mac and cheese won’t taste like coconut! Here is my favorite recipe.
Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Adapted from this recipe
Serves 4 (double or triple for Thanksgiving)
- 2 cups pasta, with nooks & crannies for holding the sauce
- 4 tablespoons Kelapo coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup onion, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cubed
- 1 teaspoon chives, chopped, mostly for color
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.