As a kid, I remember enjoying a pop-tart every once in a while for breakfast. Whether it be a new flavor that came out or traditional blueberry, I loved popping it in the microwave and enjoying the flavor. As I have gotten older, and realized this is not the most nutritious of breakfast foods, I have opted for a healthier verison. Since I have a son now, I still want him to enjoy the foods that I enjoyed, but I want them to be a better option. You can easily make homemade “pop-tarts” at home with only a few ingredients!
- 1 store-bought pie crust dough
- blueberry preserves
- egg wash ( 1 egg mixed with a splash of water)
- Kelapo coconut oil cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. Cut into rectangles.
- Place blueberry preserves into the center of the rectangle and gently spread outward.
- Wet edges of crust with egg wash to seal it, and top with another piece of the crust.
- Use a fork to seal all the edges and repeat until all of your crust is used.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with a bit of sugar, if desired.
- Prick the tops with a fork to allow steam to escape.
- Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and bake for 1o to 15 minutes. Brush the tops of the finished product with honey for added sweetness!
Serve with a cup of coffee, milk, or juice for the kids! If your kids are old enough, have them help you with this breakfast. Not only is it easy, but they will have fun spreading the blueberry preserves and indenting the crust with the fork. Feel free to get creative with this recipe as well. If you looking for something a bit sweeter try using a nutella and chocolate blend as your filling. The possibilites of delicious-ness are endless!