When I first found out that I was pregnant, the food aversions came on pretty quickly. Sometimes eating healthy was the last thing on my mind, but it’s something that is so important for the development of your growing baby and even you!
When planning meals, keep in mind that you should be getting nutrients from the following food groups: fruits, vegetables, proteins, healthy fats, protein sources, breads and grains, and dairy products. My best advice is to make meals and snacks that sound appealing to your daily changing pallet and include healthy options from the listed food groups.
I personally incorporate coconut oil into my diet and cooking/baking as a source of healthy fats. Consuming coconut oil during pregnancy has also helped my energy levels at times since it is metabolized and used as an energy source, versus being stored in the body.
This oil may also help with regulating your digestive system and the anti-bacterial properties that help support your immune system when you need it most.
To help keep other woman on track with healthy options, here is a list of my go-to recipes during pregnancy:
- Gluten-Free Protein French Toast – Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day and this French toast recipe is packed with protein and healthy fats. This was my favorite breakfast meal for the longest time because it’s so simple to make and also helped curve my sweet cravings. Serve with a glass of orange juice and a banana to help round out your food groups.
- Pistachio Encrusted Salmon – Salmon is a great source of omega 3-fatty acids and protein, which are especially important during the third trimester. Changing things up with pistachios and a sun-dried tomato pesto helped me so much with any fish aversions. Remember to purchase wild caught salmon if possible and use an unrefined coconut oil to reap all the natural health benefits. Serve this dish with our smashed sweet potatoes and steamed broccoli– yum!
- Green Berry Protein Smoothie – There will be times when you crave something cold or don’t feel like getting a meal down, which is when this smoothie recipe comes in so handy. Filled with a serving of fruits, veggies, and healthy fats, you won’t be disappointed with the taste of this smoothie.
- Dark Chocolate Frozen Bananas – This recipe is great for helping with sweet cravings that just about all us pregnant woman encounter. There will be times when we indulge in ice cream or cake, but for them most part, it is much better to keep the sweets on the cleaner side. This dessert is made with bananas, dark chocolate, coconut oil, and peanut butter, which mixed together make an awesome combination.
- Chicken Skewers with Tzatziki Sauce – By week 16 of my pregnancy, I was able to consume chicken again, which I was extremely happy about! The tzatziki sauce that’s served with the chicken skewers helps keep this dish interesting and you can serve with a side of pita bread and large salad for either lunch or dinner.
Hopefully you’ll find some of these recipes appealing during your pregnancy and may even become hooked on one, just like I did! For more ways to use coconut oil during pregnancy, be sure to visit this blog.
What’s your favorite dish to make while pregnant?