Now that August is almost more than halfway through, kids are going back to school and it’s time to start thinking about one of the most important meals of the day – breakfast. According to Steven Dowshen, MD with HealthyKids.org, “kids and teens who eat breakfast have more energy, do better in school, and eat healthier throughout the day.”
Time can be a precious thing in the mornings, which is why we love breakfast meals that can be prepared ahead of time and even kept in the freezer and then defrosted before school. Instead of using butter or oil in the recipes below, we used coconut oil as a replacement.
Coconut oil is wonderful for morning consumption and not to mention, tastes delicious! The medium chain triglycerides which are found in coconut oil get absorbed in the body differently than butter or olive oil and do not get stored in the body. Because of this, you may feel a natural energy boost, which can be great for those sleepy children.
Below are some of my favorite breakfast recipes that are great for the little ones and parents, too!
- Spinach and Feta Egg Muffins – This is one of my favorite protein-packed recipes to make ahead of time! These egg muffins freeze perfectly and the desired amount of muffins can be taken out and placed in the microwave right before breakfast time. Feel free to add any veggies or added proteins to these muffins.
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes – This recipe is good for those who have a little more time to prepare a meal, but the pancakes are sure delicious! The chocolate chips are an added bonus for your little ones for more incentive to finish their entire meal. Try serving scrambled eggs in coconut oil as a protein for this breakfast meal.
- Green Berry Protein Smoothie – It may be hard for anyone to eat their vegetables at times, so this is the perfect way to incorporate them into a meal! This smoothie is packed with spinach and berries for an antioxidant rich breakfast. As a tip for little boys, tell them that drinking this green smoothie will make them strong like the Hulk!
- Blueberry and Coconut Bars – This is another breakfast item that is perfect to make ahead of time and good for a few days once baked. These bars are simple, yet packed with healthy fats and antioxidants. You can choose to add any fruit to this recipe if your little one is not a fan of blueberries.
- Apple and Cinnamon Oatmeal – I loved oatmeal growing up and still do to this day. Oatmeal is a good way to fill up those little tummies and by adding coconut oil, apples, and cinnamon; your bowl will be packed with flavor. I used gluten-free oats for this recipe, but feel free to use original oatmeal if desired.
Hopefully some of these recipes will inspire wholesome breakfast ideas and brain fuel before a long day at school! Parents, be sure to join your little ones and eat breakfast, too. For an added boost of energy for yourself, try adding coconut oil to your morning coffee. This is a great substitute for coffee creamer and cuts down on sugar!
What’s your favorite breakfast dish to make?