Happy Halloween Kelapo Fans!!
Today is a day full of Halloween traditions. Of course, most of us love dressing up and eating candy, but there is a lot more to the day than that! We’ve been preparing you all month with recipes for Halloween parties like our Halloween Puppy Chow and Gluten-Free Halloween Cookies!
Here are some fast and fun facts about Halloween:
- The celebration of Halloween started in the United States as an autumn harvest festival. In pioneer days, some Americans celebrated Halloween with corn-popping parties, taffy pulls and hayrides.
- The pumpkin originated in Mexico about 9,000 years ago. It is one of America’s oldest known vegetables.
- Four-in-ten adults admit that they sneak sweets from their own candy bowl.
- 62% of adults will be handing out candy because “it’s a personal favorite.”
- Jack-o-lanterns are an Irish tradition.
- 90% of parents admit to sneaking goodies from their kids’ Halloween trick-or-treat bags.
- When trick-or-treating first became popular in the United States in the 1800s, more children played mischievous pranks than asked for candy.
- 30% of kids report that they SORT their candy first when returning home with trick-or-treat loot.
- Chocolate makes up about three-quarters of a trick-or-treater’s loot, according to the National Confectioners Association.
- Candy corn has been made with the same recipe by the Jelly Belly Candy Company since around 1900.
What’s your favorite part of Halloween?
Have a safe, fun Halloween.