Being from the South, fried foods are pretty common and I love them. There’s nothing like enjoying homemade fried chicken on a Sunday afternoon. But, because of the tons of fatty calories from flour and oil, it certainly doesn’t complement a healthy diet. Here’s a guiltless way to make nearly any fried “meat” dish using two of my favorite and most versatile ingredients – wheat germ and Kelapo Coconut Oil.
And with football season right around the corner, and not to mention the countless sleepovers as the kiddoes are back-to-school, this is a great dish that will surely satisfy your guests while keeping them heart healthy.
- Chicken breasts (I used 7oz)
- 4 tbsp wheat germ
- 1 tbsp flax seed (optional but adds a crunchiness to the batter)
- 1 egg white (or 1 tbsp BBQ sauce or mustard if you have egg allergies, or if you are “frying” veggies and do not want animal products)
- Kelapo Coconut Oil Spray
- Seasonings to taste: 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, pinch of sea salt
- Set oven to 375F.
- Wash a chicken breast in cold water and then pat dry with a paper towel. Slice it in half or in small pieces to create chicken strips.
- In a bowl, mix wheat germ with seasonings. If you would like to add flax seed, then add it here at this step.
- Whip an egg white in another bowl and dip chicken breast strips in the egg white mixture.
- Dip strips in wheat germ mixture and cover completely.
- Lightly spray a baking pan with Kelapo Coconut Oil. Place “breaded” chicken strips on the baking sheet. Then lightly spray strips with Kelapo Coconut Oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Remove and devour! Consider using low calorie BBQ sauce mixed with fresh mashed raspberries. Provides an incredible flavor and complement to the dish.