It’s officially October 1st, which means I’m already starting to bring out all my fall inspired recipes. I absolutely love the flavors of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, gingerbread, and peppermint – yum! Yesterday I got in my cookie making mood and decided to try homemade ginger snap cookies. Let me tell you, these were delicious. Instead of using butter in this recipe, I replaced it with coconut oil in a 1:1 ratio. Coconut oil is my go-to ingredient for ALL baking. Not only is it a healthier alternative to butter or vegetable oil, but also makes all my recipes turn out flavorful and moist.
Ginger snap cookies are tricky to get down with flavoring, so I do suggest tasting your batter. Some people like a little more “spice” to their cookie and some may like it more on the mild side. I made my cookies a little thicker by not rolling out the dough too thin and used a circular cookie cutter for an even shape. Here’s what you’ll need:
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon ground ginger, or to taste
½ teaspoon nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1-2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup coconut oil, room temperature
1 cup white sugar
¼ cup dark molasses
1/3 cup cinnamon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Sift the flour, ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt into a mixing bowl. Stir that same mixture a second time and transfer over into a second bowl.
- Place coconut oil into a mixing bowl and beat until a whipped consistency is formed. Next, gradually beat in the white sugar, egg, and dark molasses. Sift 1/3 of the flour mixture into the coconut oil mixture and stir thoroughly to blend. Sift in the remaining mixture and mix together until a soft dough forms.
- Roll rough out into ½ inch thickness and use a circular cookie cutter to form your cookies. If you don’t have a cookie cutter at home, you can pinch off a piece of the rough and roll into a small ball to form your cookies.
- Sprinkle each cookie with cinnamon sugar mixture and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Baking for about 10 minutes and cool cookies on a wire rack. Enjoy!
For more fall inspired recipes, be sure to take a look at our salted caramel pumpkin cookies, guilt-free pumpkin bread, white chocolate pumpkin mousse, and delicious pumpkin roll. Can you tell we are pumpkin obsessed?!