Dr. Oz is a well-known doctor because of his popular television show “The Dr. Oz Show”. His show focuses on on medical issues and personal health. I know that I am personally unable to watch the show due to my work schedule, but I always hear good things about it. Dr. Oz has been known to keep up with the latest trends for your health and his newest findings are with the Paleo Diet. If you are not familiar with the Paleo diet it is based upon eating wholesome, contemporary foods from the food groups that our hunter-gatherer ancestors would have thrived on during the Paleolithic era, or Stone Age. The foods that you may eat include grass-produced meats, fish/seafood, fresh fruits and veggies, eggs and healthy oils including coconut oil.
Dr. Oz has created something called the Paleo Diet Playbook which includes all your useful information about becoming involved with the Paleo Diet. In his playbook he explains his 5 rules of the Paleo Diet and using the strategies of the past to improve your future. Let’s quickly review the rules:
- Rule # 1 – Build a “Paleo Plate” for every meal – On the Paleo diet two-thirds of your plate should be made up of veggies. The other one-third should be a palm-sized portion of lean protein, one fruit and a dollop of a health fat, simliar to an avocado.
- Rule # 2 – Eliminate all “inflammatory” foods – Processed foods can upset the immune system and creat inflammation in your body. Cut out dairy and refined sugars and veer away from legumes and whole grains, which happen to be some of Dr. Oz’s main staples.
- Rule # 3 – Cut out calorie counting – Eating well balanced meals maintains your body efficiently so that you don’t encounter blood sugar spikes or crashes. On this diet you can eat and be satisfied without worrying about keeping your calorie count in check.
- Rule # 4 – Eat Dinner for Breakfast – Breakfast usually contains refined carbs for breakfast, so instead of grabbing for that bagel, add some protein into your breakfast. Try grabbing leftovers from last night’s dinner, turkey, salmon or a burger, to fuel your day!
- Rule # 5 – Take 3 Cheat Meals a Week – You can still get all of the benefits of a Paleo Diet by sticking to it 85% of the time. Allow yourself ot indulge in three meals a week and remember that the Paleo Diet is a lifestyle change not one of those “fad diets”.
These are just some of basic rules to making the lifestyle change of the Paleo Diet. Another benefit to living a Paleo lifestyle is the benefits of healthy fats, like coconut oil. A great benefit to using coconut oil is that it is also Dr. Oz approved! There is no secret that Dr. Oz is a supporter of coconut oil and he should be as it has multiple health benefits. So, whether or not you chose to follow the Paleo Diet, at least be sure to include coconut oil into your daily diet. To choose the right coconut oil make sure that it is unrefined, cold-pressed, organic coconut oil. It should smell slighty like coconuts and be bright white in color!