3.5 MILLION cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year in the United States, according to The National Council on Skin Cancer Prevention. Just take a moment and think of that number – that HUGE number. Since I’m a very fair-skinned person, sunblock is always in my beach bag. But that’s not the only way to protect yourself from the harmful UV rays. In honor of Don’t Fry Day, I’m sharing the five best ways to enjoy the sun without the burn!
- Slather on the Sunscreen – I said it wasn’t the ONLY thing, but it is the most important thing in your arsenal against skin cancer. Rub at least two tablespoons for your entire body about 30 minutes BEFORE going out in the sun. If you wait until after you get outside, you’ve waited too long. Give our Kelapo Coconut Oil Sunscreen recipe a try to help protect your family this Memorial Day.
- Skip Peak Time – My mom always made me stay inside from 10-4 when I was younger and I hated it! But now I know she was just making sure I avoided the time when the sun’s rays are the strongest.
- Seek Shade – Ok, even I go outside from 10-4, especially on those amazing Florida summer days. But when I’m at the beach, I have an umbrella handy to help block the sun. It also makes it so much cooler!
- Shield the Shoulders and Scalp – You can still get a sunburn on your scalp! If your plans call for an all-day outdoor activity, wear a hat (I don’t care if it’s a baseball cap or sombrero, just bring one!). The wider the brim, the better because your shoulders are also one of the most common places to get burned since the position of the sun typically shines directly down on you.
- Spray on Your Tan – Again, because I am so pale, the only way I’m getting color is via spray tan. Indoor tanning is NOT a safe alternative to the sun. The Skin Cancer Foundation warns indoor tanners are 74% more likely to develop melanoma than those who have never tanned indoors.
Have a safe and relaxing Memorial Day Weekend!