As the cold and flu season continues to linger around we sometimes get desperate to find a remedy that works. Colds can be the most difficult to get rid of so you want something that works and fast. I began to think about all of the cough drops that I have used and I have never felt like they relieve my symptoms. Since I keep coconut oil on hand at all times in my house I wondered if there was a way to make my own cough drop. I created my own recipe from others ideas to form this great cough remedy!
- 1 cup of honey
- 2 tablespoons of Kelapo Coconut Oil
- Place honey and coconut oil in a pot and bring to a boil.
- When the mixture comes to a boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- “Cook” the mixture until it reaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit with a candy thermometer. If you don’t have a candy thermometer spray a cookie sheet with coconut oil cooking spray and pour the syrup on the sheet.
- When the syrup has cooled, it will become bendable, begin to use your hands to pull of pieces and form into ovals or the shape of your choice. Work quickly as this hardens very fast.
- Allow cough drops to cool on a pan.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to 2 to 3 weeks.
There you have it, simple and easy cough drops with ingredients in your pantry. I like this recipe because you can make as many or as little as you would like. You could also make these into cough drop lollipops by laying down a candy stick and pouring the mixture at either end and allowing to cool on parchment paper.
I used honey because of it’s antibacterial properties. Studies have shown honey may help relieve symptoms when you have the cold or flu. I also chose to incorporate coconut oil into the cough drop because of it’s properties that can help your immunity by fighting the virus directly. Coconut oil has also been shown to help soothe your sore throat by ingesting the oil while feeling under the weather. For more tips and tricks for helping your cold and flu this holiday season check out our Top 5 Ways to Fight Cold and Flu with Coconut Oil.