I recently came across a recipe for a caramel hair treatment and it caught my eye because of the word caramel. Typically this is used as a word for a dessert topping, which I love, so I was interested in what it could potentially do for my hair. I read that the outcome was soft and silky hair which every woman wants. I was especially looking forward to this treatment because lately my hair has been a bit dry. The original recipe that I found called for olive oil but I replaced that with coconut oil because I have used coconut oil before in my hair and love the outcome. Here’s my adapted recipe:
- Honey – 3 tablespoons
- Kelapo Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Bananas – I used a 4oz jar of pureed baby food bananas
- Molasses – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 2-3 tablespoons
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 1 tablespoon
- Cornstarch – 1-2 tablespoons depending on how thick you want the mixture to be
- Place all ingredients into a blender except for the water and process until smooth. You may need to add more water if the mixture is too dry.
- Pour the mixture into a medium saucepan and place on a medium heat. This will help the corn starch to thicken the mix.
- You will create a caramel color, slightly thick hair “mask”.
- To apply section off hair into 4 even sections.
- Begin to apply the mixture to the bottom layer and work your way to the top of your roots and scalp.
- When all hair has been coated evenly, clip up to keep off your neck.
- Leave mixture in your hair for 1 to 2 hours. Leave in overnight for really dry hair.
- When you are ready to remove wash hair as normal, it may take a couple of washes to completely clean your hair.
I left the mixture in my hair overnight to get the full effect. I covered my pillow with a towel since my hair was very sticky. In the morning I washed twice with my everyday shampoo and blow dried my hair as usual. My hair felt extremely soft and silky. I really felt like keeping the mixture on my hair for so long allowed the ingredients to go into my scalp and moisture my hair. If you want a different hair mask to try, check out this honey mask. How do you help to keep your hair healthy and soft?