When I first started getting into fitness, I really had no clue what I was doing. From the dieting to workouts, I gained a lot of my knowledge that I have today from constantly reading fitness magazines and doing my research. There are so many diets out there and styles of training that sometimes it gets completely overwhelming. It took me a while, but going through trial and error, I’ve found a training style and diet regimen that I’m happy with.
Going through the motions, I can’t express how many mistakes I’ve made thinking I was being healthy, when in reality, I wasn’t doing much good for my body. I found recently came across an article in Muscle and Fitness Hers that had a common list of behaviors that even “fit chicks” make. These mistakes may even be weighing down your fitness goals – I have to admit, I’m guilty of a few. Let’s take a look at some key points that are necessary to achieve success!
- Lower-Intensity Workouts – Over the past few months, I’ve fallen in love with High Intensity Interval Training, or HIIT. If I’m in a time crunch, this is my go-to style of working out or cardio. I also try not to take more than 30 second of rest in between my sets in order to keep my heart rate constantly up. For more information on HIIT, check out my Best Fat Burning Cardio. As a reminder, make sure to stretch!
- Rest Days – When consistently working out, giving your body rest is extremely important. Muscles need time to repair in order to grow, which is why taking a day or two off from the gym is a good thing. Try taking a walk outside or attend a yoga class if you still wanting to stay active when taking a break from the weights.
- Add Variety to Your Diet – Are you tired of eating the same foods each day? Sometimes you need variety to keep yourself interested in eating healthy foods, especially when it comes time to grocery shop. I would always avoid using oil in my dishes, but now I’m obsessed. Try using coconut oil in your recipes as a substitute for butter or other cooking oils in a 1:1 ratio. You’ll be amazed how well this healthy fat compliments any dish, from savory to sweet. For ideas on what to pick up on your next grocery trip, check out what’s in my shopping cart.
- Take Care of Your Muscles – After working out or doing cardio for a few days, my muscles are absolutely beat! To soothe aches and pains, taking a hot bath with Epsom salts helps tremendously. This homemade massage oil is also great for rubbing out any knots and stiffness.
- Snack Smart – Years ago, I would snack constantly throughout the day. Chips, granola bars, you name it, I would be eating it. Now that I have learned more about nutrition and the foods you need to consume to fuel your body, I avoid snacking as much as possible. If you’re craving something to munch on, try these coconut berry energy bars or Michelle’s frozen peanut butter bites. These two are my favorite foods to help eliminate my sweet tooth and keep me satisfied.
For more tips on achieving a healthy behaviors, click here. Do you have tips that are your favorite?