It’s safe to say that every once in a while we all get cravings for something sweet. And for some of us that craving is just about every day. Well, the next time you get that “itch,” instead of grabbing the nearest candy bar, treat your body well and reach for an easy, homemade coconut berry energy food bar. Why? Studies show that consuming good, healthy fats like the ones found in coconut oil leave us feeling more satisfied and less prone to snack on unhealthy, processed foods to curb sugar cravings. Also, these bars are packed with omega 3 fatty acids and other vitamins to keep you heart healthy so you can power through your next workout session or just get you through the day! These are great snacks to enjoy with an isolate whey protein shake.
Approximate prep & cook time: 15 minutes
Ingredients to make 12 bars:
- Dry ingredients
– 1/2 cup raw pistachios
– 1/2 cup cashews
– 4 tbsp flax seeds
- 1/2 cup naturally dried blueberries (no sugar added)
- 1/2 cup naturally dried cranberries (no sugar added)
- 1.5 tbsp raw organic honey
- 1.5 tbsp (21g) Kelapo coconut oil
- Combine all dry ingredients into a food processor and pulse blend until the nuts are nearly like powder, but there should be visible pieces of nuts.
- Add the remaining ingredients (dried berries, Kelapo coconut oil, honey) and pulse blend until everything begins to stick together.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl using a spatula and continue mixing by hand until you have malleable, sticky dough.
- Spread the mixture either on a nonstick baking sheet or on parchment paper. Flatten the mixture using your hands and the spatula.
- Place the pan in the freezer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then remove.
- Cut immediately into equal-sized bars and separate them using parchment paper.
- Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer.
Approx macros for 1 bar (of 12): 138 calories, 3g protein, 17g carbs, 7.5g fat
-Kevin from Fit Men Cook