Happy Popcorn Lover’s Day! What a wonderful holiday to be able to celebrate…who doesn’t love a good specialty popcorn? I honestly had no idea that such a “holiday” existed and it is such a new holiday at that! Apparently Bob Matthews of Rochester, NY created this special day on January 6th 2012 and it is his favorite snack. Well, Bob from Rochester, I salute you because this was a great day to create for us popcorn lovers!
What’s so great about popcorn that makes people go crazy about it? Is it the salty flavor or the nice crunchy texture? Whatever tickles your fancy about popcorn, I have a recipe for a GREAT specialty popcorn! Salted caramel candies are such a huge favorite nowadays that everyone just can’t seem to get enough of, so you betcha I was excited when I found this recipe for marshmallow caramel popcorn from Pin Cookie! I wanted to make it a bit of my own creation so I used coconut oil instead of butter
and added a few chocolate chips into the mix, check out my recipe:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil
1 bag of microwavable popcorn
Handful of chocolate chips
Sea salt; to taste
- In a mug, microwave coconut oil and brown sugar for 2 minutes.
- Add marshmallows and microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
- In a separate mug, melt chocolate in microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes.
- Microwave popcorn per instructions on package.
- Pour popcorn in bowl and pour caramel and chocolate mixture on top.
- Mix together to evenly distribute and sprinkle top with sea salt.
- Heat coconut oil, marshmallows and brown sugar in a skillet on medium high heat. This will take a little while for the marshmallows to actually melt but it will form a smooth consistency.
- Melt your chocolate chips in a double boiler and drizzle on top of popcorn mixture as opposed to mixing into popcorn.
- Make sure to pop your popcorn after making the caramel and chocolate mixtures, this will ensure your popcorn is nice and fresh when it is coated.