I love eating fruits and veggies that are in season because you taste the difference from when they aren’t in season! You can also purchase fruits and veggies from local produce stands when they are in season, which is so much fun. I love taking my son with me when I shop locally because he loves helping me pick out our purchases. Aidan will be 2 in April so it is so cute to see how excited he gets when he gets to help mommy! We recently went to our local produce stand and picked out a couple of tangerines because they are in season and taste SO delicious! Tangerines are good for you because they are high in vitamin C and vitamin A. Tangerines also contain about 6% of the recommended daily intake of fiber. Also, adding coconut oil to your daily snacks is great because coconut oil is rich in antioxidants, lauric acid and other MCTs, which may help the body absorb important nutrients and minerals, and eliminate harmful bacteria.
Now, if you have children you know it can sometimes be difficult to get them to eat the fruits and veggies they need, so I always appreciate tips and tricks from other mommies about getting my little one to eat healthy. The recipe I am sharing with you is for chocolate covered tangerines, I know you are thinking how is chocolate healthy but for this recipe I chose to use dairy-free, nut-free chocolate chips. You could also opt to use dark chocolate chips, dark chocolate tends to be full of antioxidants, high in vitamins and minerals and good for your brain! Here is my recipe for this delicious snack:
1/4 cup chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of Kelapo Coconut Oil
- Cut tangerines into about 8 pieces and freeze overnight, this will help the chocolate stick to the fruit.
- Place a skillet on a medium heat and pour chocolate chips and coconut oil into the pan.
- Gently stir the chips and coconut oil together until it forms a smooth consistency.
- Remove tangerines from freezer and remove chocolate from heat.
- Dip one side of tangerines into the chocolate mix, the chocolate will begin to harden forming a “magic shell” coating. Check out our Chocolate Magic Shell blog here!
- Continue until all tangerines are coated in chocolate, serve and enjoy!