Protein is an essential element that should be consumed on a daily basis in order to sustain proper nutrition, maintain muscle mass, and help build muscle. Sometimes trying to eat five to six well balanced meals per day is tough, so I decided it was time to come up with a recipe for protein bread that would be great for on-the-go! I included both coconut oil and shredded coconut into this recipe for added health benefits. Coconut oil is a good source of health fats and made up of medium chain triglycerides which are used in the body as energy. I personally like to incorporate coconut oil into my diet, so this is an easy way to make sure I’m getting these superfood benefits. Adding shredded coconut to this bread also gives you a source of fiber, iron, zinc, and not to mention – added flavor. Let’s take a look at what you’ll need:
1 cup oat flour
2 scoops chocolate protein powder
¼ cup Kelapo coconut oil, melted
½ cup water
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup egg whites
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
½ cup Stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
¼ to ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut, depending on your preference
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, add in oat flour, protein powder, coconut oil, water, sea salt, and eggs. Mix thoroughly.
- Next, add in baking cocoa and Stevia and mix until completely combined.
- Add in shredded coconut, mixing into batter.
- Spray a baking pan with Kelapo coconut oil cooking spray and add in the mixture.
- Top with shredded coconut and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool, serve and enjoy
I couldn’t wait to dive into this bread! The coconut oil, shredded coconut, and chocolate flavors blend perfectly together. Besides breakfast or a mid-day snack, I’ve found that this is the perfect way to satisfy your sweet tooth. One loaf usually lasts me about three to five days, depending on how much I’ll eat in one sitting. For more protein packed recipes, check out Michelle’s Protein Breakfast Cookie, Jen’s Perfect Steak Meal, and my Energy Boosting Coffee Protein Shake.