There is usually not a lot of time or thought that goes into dinner some nights at my house. Between my husband playing softball twice a week and me getting off work into the later evening, we typically eat the same things week by week. On weekends I enjoy meal-planning and making my grocery list but sometimes life just gets in the way and before you know, it’s already Monday! I wanted to spice up this week’s meals and make something out of the ordinary and that was when I came across this recipe for Marinated Grilled Chicken Breast with Watermelon-Jalapeno Salsa. It looked delicious and seemed very easy to make with only a few different ingredients than I would typically chose. Of course, I subbed the olive oil for coconut oil and used our wonderful coconut oil cooking spray! I also changed this recipe because we live in a condo, so we don’t have the opportunity to grill often.
1 tablespoon oregano
1 tablespoon Kelapo Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon chili powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
3 garlic cloves; minced
4 chicken breasts; 2 chicken breasts halved
2 cups diced watermelon
1 cup diced mango
2 tablespoons cilantro
2 tablespoon finely diced jalapeno; about 1 small
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine first 6 ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Cut the chicken breasts in halves and coat the chicken with the mixture on both sides, place on parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 365 degrees.
- In a large baking dish, 13 x 9, spray your coconut oil cooking spray to evenly coat the bottom.
- Remove chicken from paper and place into the baking dish.
- Cook for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, depending on your oven.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare your watermelon salsa; combine the rest of the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Serve salsa along side of chicken or on top according to your preference. Sprinkle more lime juice on top, if desired.
This meal was very easy to make because of the little preparation. I felt like it was just dipping the chicken, throwing it in the oven and prepping the salsa. Within about 30 minutes our dinner was hot and ready to serve! My favorite kind of meals are the quick meals that taste delicious and wow was this chicken juicy. It was cooked perfectly and the spices complemented each other extremely well. The watermelon and mango made this the perfect dinner for the summertime and we even ate out on our patio for the full summertime effect.