Today’s recipe was created by New York based Chef Megan Huylo, and boy am I excited. Because of my Southern roots, putting bourbon in a recipe means you have to eat it. This treat is also raw and vegan, so it’s great for everyone to enjoy. Most of Chef Megan’s recipes are healthy, plant-based creations. Be sure to visit her site, www.DowntownEpicure.com for more delicious treats and dishes.
Raw Chocolate Bourbon Tartlets with Chocolate Hazelnut Crust
Yield: 24 tartlets or 1 large tart
For the crust:
3/4 cup dried prunes, about 6 ounces, roughly chopped
1½ cups hazelnut flour
1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1½ tablespoons mesquite powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 tablespoons water
For the filling:
1/2 cup frozen young thai coconut meat, about 3 ounces
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/2 cup Kelapo Coconut Oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon maple syrup
2 teaspoons bourbon
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons almond milk
1. In a food processor, pulse the prunes until finely minced.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and 1 tablespoon water. Pulse until a coarse meal.
3. While the processor is running, slowly pour in the remaining water, 1 teaspoon at a time until the mixture is just moist enough that it sticks together when pressed between your fingers. You may only need one or two additional teaspoons.
4. Press the mixture into tartlet molds to shape the crust and place in the refrigerator to set and chill while you prepare the filling.
5. In a Vitamix or high-speed blender, blend the coconut meat, cacao, coconut oil, vanilla, maple syrup, bourbon, and salt and a 1/4 cup of the almond milk until smooth and creamy. The mixture should be very thick, so only add the remaining two tablespoons if needed to assist with blending.
6. Pipe the filling into the prepared tartlet shells and chill for about 30 minutes until the filling is set and firm.
Need more holiday treat ideas? From truffles to cheesecake squares, we have you covered!