I made Madhur Jaffrey’s recipe for chana masala last night and it turned out amazing. Come back tomorrow for my recipe for roasted curried cauliflower that I served with it.
Adapted from this recipe
- 1 tablespoon Kelapo coconut oil
- 2 medium onions (peeled and minced)
- 1 clove garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 tablespoons chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups cooked chickpeas or 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon amchoor powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 fresh, hot green chili pepper (minced)
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
Heat coconut oil in a large skillet.
Add onions and garlic and sauté over a medium heat until browned (3-5 minutes).
Turn heat to medium-low.
Add the coriander, cumin (not the roasted cumin), cayenne and turmeric.
Stir for a few seconds.
Add the tomatoes.
Cook the tomatoes until browned lightly.
Add chickpeas and a cup of water and stir.
Add the roasted cumin, amchoor, paprika, garam masala, salt and lemon juice.
Cook covered for 10 minutes.
Remove the cover add the minced chili and ginger.
Stir and cook uncovered for 30 seconds.