Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon Kelapo Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cups fat-free cheese
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring medium-sized pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets, and boil 5 to 7 minutes, or until just tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid, and set aside.
- Melt coconut oil in same pot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Whisk in milk, garlic, and reserved cooking liquid, and cook 7 to 10 minutes, or until sauce is thickened, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, and egg yolk until cheese is melted. Fold in cauliflower.
- Coat a baking dish with Kelapo Coconut Oil Cooking Spray. Spread cauliflower mixture in baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Spray breadcrumbs with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes, or until casserole is hot and bubbly and breadcrumbs are crisp and brown.
I must say, I was pleasantly surprised with how delicious this dish turned out! The cauliflower was just tender enough to mimic pasta and the mixture of coconut oil and spices gave the dish added flavor. This would be a wonderful addition to grilled chicken or a fun way to get your little ones to eat their vegetables. For another fun way to make a low-carb meal, check out Jen’s recipe for Cauliflower Crust Pizza and Cauliflower Garlic Mashed Potatoes.