Camping? Me? Well, no, I’m really more of an “indoorsy” kind of girl. When Victor and I have children, he can take them camping. Mama will have a nice spa weekend with her friends, mosquito-free, thank you very much.
However, I absolutely love finding new uses for household products. So when we started brainstorming all the ways you can use coconut oil in the wilderness, a camping post seemed perfect for summer!
Some great ideas from the Kelapo team and beyond:
– Use Coconut oil as a natural skin moisturizer. To turn it into an exfoiliant, mix it with sand or salt. Or use it to moisturize your hair and nails (who says mountain men can’t have lustrous locks?)
– Some say coconut oil is a great sunscreen. As a fair skinned redhead, I am too scared to try this, but my dark haired friend says it worked like a charm! If you still get burned (or forget to use it before going out in the sun), coconut oil is excellent for relieving sunburn (This, I can attest to. See our sunburn relief post!)
– People in tropical climates have been using coconut oil as a natural insect repellent for hundreds of years. I find that this works by taking it internally too. If you do get bitten, coconut oil is an anti-inflammatory, and is great for relieving the itch of bug bites.
– Coconut oil is great for burns, scratches, and blisters, due to its antibacterial, antimicrobial properties
– Forgot your toothbrush? Just swish with coconut oil. The oil promotes the production of saliva, which is a bacteria fighter by itself. The saliva activates the coconut oil, which pretty much anihilates the bacteria that cause bad breath, plaque, and gingivitis. Do when you eat, and after flossing.
– Use coconut oil in your fireside cooking. Grease your grill, spread on corn on the cob, or make what Erin calls a “Slammer Dog”:
Spread coconut oil on both sides of a hotdog bun, then place on grill. Slice hotdog open lengthwise, and grill that too. Combine and top with your favorite condiments.
– In the morning, make scrambled eggs, pancakes, and toast on the griddle with coconut oil.
***Bonus uses… Sharing a sleeping bag? Coconut oil makes an excellent shaving cream, in case your man doesn’t want to snuggle up to lumberjack legs… AND we hear coconut oil makes an excellent personal lubricant. Just sayin!
Have fun camping, I’ll be at the Four Seasons!