As the days near closer to the start of school, you may see that back to school can become a bit pricey. Between buying school supplies, buying new clothes, and supplying your kids’ lunches it can really add up! But, have no fear because I am here to help with what some people may think is the most stressful time of the year. I’ll give you my personal insight to my top 5 ways to go back to school while staying within your budget.
- Re-use old backpacks and notebooks – Add some stickers to old backpacks to make them “new” or if you have an old notebook with only a few written pages, rip them out and decorate the front with new stickers and designs.
- Don’t buy new shoes – If you your kids have a favorite pair of leather shoes, try shining them to look like new with coconut oil!
- Buy reusable items – If this is your child’s first year at school, invest in some quality essentials; stapler, ruler, pencil sharpener, and scissors. These items won’t wear easily and can be reused for a couple of years.
- Eat meals at home – Although it is easy to give your child a few bucks and have them eat at school you can save a lot of money by packing their lunches and having breakfast at home. It’s also beneficial to prep meals beforehand to save time. I enjoy making blueberry muffins and freezing them throughout the week. I can easily pop them in the microwave for a few seconds, serve with a banana and have a delicious breakfast in about a minute! You can also prep and freeze dinners for those hectic weeknights.
- Buy used – If the kids are in need of new school clothes check your local thrift and consignment stores for some good finds. The prices are more then half of a regular department store and most clothes are in the same condition.
Not only did I follow these tips for when my son started pre-school but I also follow them on a daily basis as well. I just recently made my first freezer meal of pot roast with veggies and my husband though it was the best thing ever! Another tip would be to get your school supplies at the dollar store or when your local grocery store may be running a sale. The grocery store around here has buy one, get one free sales on school supplies so you can get double the items for the price of one. What are some of your favorite ways to save money during Back to School season?