Happy Thanksgiving! The time to spend with family and friends is finally here. With all the family gatherings come enormous amounts of food, which I was busy preparing yesterday. For those of you who may still be scrambling to find a last minute dessert, these apple pie bites are just the answer. You only need two main ingredients and the prep time is less than 20 minutes.
For these mini desserts, you can choose any type of apple. Some of you may prefer red and some green – it’s totally your call. Instead of using traditional butter, I used coconut oil as my base for both steaming my apples and for brushing my dough. You can purchase any type of crescent dough for this recipe, which is extremely cheap. Since I had coconut oil and all other ingredients in my pantry, I ended up spending under five dollars for this entire batch of apple pie bites! Here’s what you’ll need:
2 apples, sliced
3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons cinnamon sugar mixture
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 package crescent rolls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take sliced apples and place in a Ziploc steam bag with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Steam for 1 minute and let cool.
- Roll out crescent dough on a cookie sheet sprayed with Kelapo coconut oil cooking spray. Brush dough with coconut oil and sprinkle brown sugar and cinnamon sugar mixture on each piece.
- Place apples at the end of the dough and roll until you reach the end. Brush the end tip with coconut oil and sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture before closing.
- Repeat this process for all pieces and place in the oven to bake for about 12-15 minutes.
- Once finished, remove from the oven and let cool before digging in!
Oh my gosh, I can’t even begin to tell you how good these came out. The apple, coconut oil and brown sugar combination is absolutely amazing. You may see caramelization on the bottom of the apple bites from the coconut oil and brown sugar, which made these even tastier. I steamed the apples beforehand to give them a little extra softness, but this step doesn’t have to be done. If you prefer to have more of a crunch, just place the sliced apples in the crescent cutouts and bake. For other last minute Thanksgiving ideas, be sure to check out this blog.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone from the Kelapo Team!